Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Taupe Trend Alert: Culottes!

I know what you’re thinking…Culottes?! I too was skeptical of the trend until I saw one of my celebrity fashion icons Kelly Ripa sporting them on LIVE with Kelly and Michael. Culottes are known for originally being worn by men of the European upper-classes beginning in the Renaissance Era and by women beginning in the Victorian Era. To the eye they look like a combination of capri pants and gauchos. Who knew they’d be making a comeback in 2015?!

*DISCLAIMER: I do not think this cut of pant is for everyone nor do I believe that it will be accepted by all. I do however believe that it can definitely be pulled off with the right pairing techniques and the perfect amount of confidence!*

For those of you who love staying on taupe of a new trend I've compiled quite a few examples of how to rock culottes to help you get started:

1. Office Culottes

Of course I had to start with a picture of where I saw the trend first. It was probably best it was one of my fashion icons wearing them because I'm not sure how accepting of the trend I would have been if I had seen them done incorrectly at first. Anyways, Kelly Ripa makes these pants look like they were made for her! They're appropriate for the office and can be paired with pumps for a date after work!

2. Weekend Culottes

This look worn found on Karla's Closet blog, is a  much more casual and fun take on culottes. It's perfect for any weekend endeavors you may have. To transform this look to a night time knockout, add some standout accessories and killer pumps! This look can also be made work appropriate by swapping the crop top for a white button down blouse and some nude closed toe heels.

3. The Perfect In Between Culottes

Not headed to work or to a girls night out but still want to sport a pair of culottes? No problem! Here's a picture of the gorgeous Gigi Hadid's take on fun yet still conservative culottes. Her choice of short sleeves and royal blue pair together perfectly to create an effortlessly chic ensemble. 

Again, I know these aren't for everyone but I encourage everyone to at least give them a shot because if you never try them on you'll never know how they look. Happy Shopping!

1 comment:

  1. Francesca,

    Sorry definitely not a fan! They remind me of my horrible middle school gauchos I rocked from Limited Too. They were cool back then but not so cool now. I have to say the same for these culottes. All these girls look fabulous but they are also professionally styled so they can pull them off. I can't see myself ever trying them on! I think it is another fashion trend that will be out very soon! Thanks for the fashion update though, I look forward to your next!!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete